The Strasburg Fire Company is located in Strasburg, PA. which is in the heart of Lancaster County. We are an all-volunteer fire company dedicated to providing efficient and effective fire protection and emergency medical services through training, education and fire prevention activities.
We cover all of Strasburg Borough as well as portions of Strasburg Township, Eden Township, and Paradise Township. Operating out of one station, located at 203 Franklin Street, our fleet consists of a 75’ rear mount ladder truck, an engine, a rescue and a squad. We respond to about 200 calls each year and use a variety of fund raisers and events to establish our annual operating budget.
Our history is deeply rooted within our community. Records of fire company activities date back to as early as July 20, 1818 when the borough referenced purchasing a fire engine as soon as possible in their minutes. The early 1800’s were busy times as an engine was purchased, a fire house was built, ladders were purchased along with hose and fire buckets. Eventually each of the boroughs three wards would have firefighting equipment and they would continue to develop the fire service in Strasburg Borough.
In the 1920’s four neighboring communities would create a fire company called the “Big Four Fire Company” and would consist of Lampeter, Refton, West Willow and New Danville fire companies. On May 18, 1922 the Big Four agreed to place an engine on the East end of Strasburg. Funds were raised and on February 21, 1923 the first motorized piece of firefighting equipment when a 1923 Prospect Manufacturing Company Model HT Ford Chemical Truck was delivered to Strasburg. Strasburg became Station 5 of the Big Four. This piece of history will resurface some 90 years later.
The Big Four was active in the 1920’s but was not long lived. In February of 1929 the Big Four was dissolved and each community became responsible for its own fire protection once again. The fire company would continue to function and in May of 1933 we officially became the Strasburg Fire Company #1 when our Charter was signed.
Growth continued as we moved through the 1900’s. Apparatus was purchased and eventually a new fire house was built on West Main St., our home for almost 60 years. As we outgrew our home on West Main St. we found a need to expand and that brought us to our current home at 203 Franklin St. on August 5, 2006.
For many years we were known as Station 5-10. The 5 represented the zone that we were located in and we were the 10’Th station of 13. In 2013 changes were being made to our dispatch procedures and a change in the numbering system had to be made. After some thought it was decided to reach back in our history and bring “Station 5” home. We became known, once again, as Station 5.
Thank you for visiting our webpage. Please stop in and visit us at the station sometime too.